Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Benefits Of A Big One!

They say that size doesn’t matter; it’s what you do with it that really counts. Even thought I’m very fortunate to have a big one, I’d have to agree that size doesn’t matter if you don’t know how to use it. But when it's all said and done, the size of your camera sensor makes a huge difference in image quality and your ability to salvage an image if you are starting from a bigger image file. A big sensor means a big camera and a big camera has other advantages.

The Other Benefits of a Big Camera

When I’m out shooting I often have my D300 with an MD10 Power Grip and a 80-200 zoom with shade hood hanging of my side held by my BlackRapid R-Strap. I always get a kick out of the facial expressions when people see just how big it is. Women usually say “Oh my that is big!”. With a smirk and smile I usually look at them, blush and reply by saying “Thank you”.

When I was at Disney and getting ready to take a picture of my kids with the Little Mermaid, she couldn't help but notice the size. She whispered in my ear “Listen big boy, if your snorkel is as impressive as your camera, you can spend the evening with me in my grotto!”. I was stunned by the proposition and couldn't help but imagine what it would be like when all of sudden I heard a loud voice. It was a Disney Cast member saying “Excuse me sir, for the last time before we call security, we are asking you to move on and let the rest of the children get a picture with the Little Mermaid!”

As I walked away disillusioned of having been ‘kicked’ out of the grotto, I couldn’t help but wonder if she really did whisper in my ear and if she did, what did she really say. Maybe she said “ Listen fat boy, I’m not sure if you have a snorkel in your pants or you are just happy to see me but get the hell out of my grotto before I call security!”.

I'd like to believe that she actually did invite me for the evening and everyone once while I let my mind wonder off and think about what it would have been like to spend that evening chasing each other around in the grotto while eating plankton!


So when it’s all said and done, having a big one does have many advantages. From basic image quality to salvaging an ok image from a bad shot to simply impressing people by how big it is, big is good. However if you happened to have a small one, don’t feel bad or don’t rush into getting a bigger one. It is amazing to see the stunningly beautiful images produced by small sensor cameras. And if you do have a small one and aren’t getting beautiful images then your problem is most likely not your camera!


From the brighter side of the dark room,

Pierre