Saturday, October 3, 2009

It’s a small world

You don’t have to go to Walt Disney and ride the “It’s a small world” attraction to realize just how small the world really is. 

This week I received two e-mails that proved that.  The first e-mail was from the World Energy Council’s London office you wrote to tell me that my image “Modern Day Farming” was the global winner in the Council’s annual photo competition.  Aside from getting a T-shirt with my image on it, I get a £500 Amazon.com gift certificate.  I’ve been considering purchasing a high-end Epson Archival ink printer and this is making the decision that much easier.

My second e-mail came from a flickr contact.  He wrote:

“Hi Pierre,
We last spoke some time ago after I'd expressed my
admiration for one of your locomotive HDR's, a very strong
image which really stuck in the mind. Anyway, the other day
as I was glancing through my weekly edition of "Amateur
Photographer" magazine, I spied an ad for, I think, the
Tokina 11-16. Since I find myself shooting more and more
architecture on a professional basis, I read the ad as I'm
considering swapping my Sigma 10-20 for the Tokina.
Unusually for a lens makers ad, it featured a decent quality
photo which caught my eye and closer inspection revealed a
credit for "HDR by Pierre Contant". I immediately thought "I
recognise that name, thats the locomotive guy!" and was
delighted that your HDR skills had been recognised!

Amateur Photographer is the UK's oldest and most respected
photo mag, celebrating its 125th birthday this year. As part
of their celebrations they gave away a reflector and white
balance target/diffuser with last weeks issue and since I
wanted both gifts I bought two copies. If that was the same
week I saw your work gracing the Tokina ad it means I should
have a spare copy floating around somewhere, which, if I can
find it, I'd be happy to send to you.


Either way you've been refining your HDR skills for a while
now and it's great to see them recognised, congratulations!!


If you'd like any more info about the Tokina image then
just Flickrmail me.
Have a great weekend!


Best Wishes, Adrian " 


That image was sold to Kenro, the UK distributor for Tokina for a one year license agreement for an ad campaign. 



The internet has made our world small, very small.  I've sold images in Canada, the US and the UK.  And to think that just maybe the Queen is sitting on the throne reading “Amateur Photographer” and gazing a my image of Lumsden Dam just tickles me. 

From the lighter side of the darkroom, 


Pierre