Monday, June 1, 2009

Loose Screws?

I've got a case full of lighting accessory goodies including a small smorgasbord of e-bay triggers. They work pretty good but anyone would rather own PocketWizards or Radio Poppers instead.

I recently came across Cybersync's from AlienBees and I'm pretty excited by the price. (As you can see it doesn't take much to excite me. Show me a price tag and I'm out of control!) They are half the cost of PocketWizards.

I purchased a White Lighting Flash Unit from
a Paul C. Buff (owner of AlienBees) about 20 years ago and the thing still works so I'm confident that these Cybersync's will last a long time.

I decided to do a bit of testing of my e-bay triggers tonight to sort of convince myself that somewhere in AlienBees warehouse in Tennessee there were a few Cybersyncs with my name written all over them.

The test did prove that the e-bay triggers aren't too consistent and that misfires are frequent.

Now what about the loose screws?

After shooting 150 test images of myself (yeah with my clothes) I actually got an idea and shot the above image. Heck if I got that idea before I started I wouldn't of wasted an hour popping the flashes in my face.

The image is three different shots layered together and then some fancy post processing.

When I was done I showed it to my wife who looked a me as if I had some screws loose. I explained to her that I was performing a highly technical and controlled test of my 'junk' accessories yet that didn't seem to impress her. To her, I was just wasting my time!

It was also obvious that mentioning the fact that there were two Cybersyncs with my name on them in a Tennessee warehouse wasn't going to make things any better so I just shut up!

From the brighter side of the dark room,


Pierre