Monday, June 15, 2009

Missed Opportunity


After some persuasion, the girls graduating this year managed to convince me to shoot their Prom. I had previously managed to hold my position and didn’t shoot their formal gown shots as this repetitive photography just doesn’t appeal to me. After retiring from shooting this type of event 20 years ago, I finally said yes to the big day.

Why did I say yes?
Well part of me wanted to relive the pressure and adrenaline rush of shooting an event but I really wanted the opportunity to confirm or refute my reasons for not doing these events in the first place. Shooting weddings 20 years ago was more pressure than fun. Trying to make an ugly bride look good and getting paid peanuts to do so just wasn’t my cup of tea. But there was a part of I liked when shooting wedding and I felt this would be a great opportunity to clear that up so that I can know when to say yes and when to say no in the future.

The assignment

The grads were to give me one hour of their time between the graduation and reception. I was to take individual portraits as well as group shots. I was also asked to shoot the diploma ceremony and the reception dinner and speech coverage as well.


The big surprise

At the end of the ceremony, one hour before the portrait shoot, I learn that my 1 hour shoot had shrunk to 15 minutes and all they really wanted now was a group shot. What a change in plans! I was bewildered. This group finally gets me to say yes and they have one hour of my photography time to create memorable images of this day but now they only want 15 minutes? I may not be renowned for my people pictures but heck, give me a bit of time and I’m sure I can produce some stunning images. At that point I realized that they either had no clue of what I was capable of producing or that they didn’t really care. Neither did I in fact as I was doing this for free. Yup! Free. And they didn’t take advantage of this opportunity.


The Shoot

I showed up at our meeting place for the shoot and got ready. The grads slowly showed up and I started shooting portraits of those that arrived, waiting for the entire class for the one shot they really wanted. As time progressed, some of them got impatient of waiting and the questionable weather (thunder) made them return to the reception. For a period of 30 minutes they came and went and I managed to get some portraits and some smaller group shots but not of the whole group as they wanted. The light was perfect and they could have all gotten some great images.

Will I do this again?
I’ve come to realize that I feel most rewarded when I create photographic art. Anyone can take photographs but few can make it into art. But producing art takes inspiration, talent and time, not 15 minutes and a camera.
So to answer the question, if someone asks me to take pictures again, I'll say no, I have no time. But if someone wants to buy my art, then I'll say yes but you will have to give me time.

From the brighter side of the darkroom

Pierre.