Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Photographing Art


My sister asked me to photograph some of her paintings as she's having a tough time getting quality images of her work.

I told her I'd do it as this is really easy. Heck you could train a donkey to do this.

I setup my nifty Manfrotto tripod and set my camera at f/16 with 50 mm lens and began to shoot the art work.

I processed them all in PS using my usual action and I was really pleased with the result. My pleasure came to a sudden halt when I decided to check the color match between my images and the painted canvas. That is when I realized that my colors and contast were totally off. I had tweaked the saturation, levels and curves like I do on all my images. Something you can't do when you try to replicate something because the end result was images that didn't resemble the art work!

I had to redo them all and try to color balance the images to match the paintings. Tough job and although I managed to get my images to look closer to the paintings, I just couldn't get them bang on. Maybe a donkey can't be trained to do this!

From the brighter side of the darkroom,

Pierre