Monday, June 29, 2009

Who’s teaching who?

Where’s the wedding?
I don’t go to many weddings these days. I’m not sure if it’s because people don’t get married anymore or if it’s because they just don’t invite me but one thing's for sure, “Here comes the bride” played on the organ is a rare sound.

But when I finally get invited to a wedding, photographing the reception is always a challenge. By the time the Bride and Groom makes it back to the reception the people at the bar know me by name. And to make matters worse, there’s always one girl wearing a dress her boyfriend wishes she wouldn’t have bought which ends up distracting me.


Free Help
That’s why I decided to get an assistant to help out with the reception photography and who better than my 10 year old son. He was bored so I setup my camera for him and gave him a 2 minute lesson on operating the flash head for bounce lighting and off to the races he went. There he was lugging my D300 c/w MB-D10, lens, flash held by my faithful BlackRapid strap around his neck. He fired away and I didn’t see him most of the night. All I could see was the room light up every minute or so as if we were in a lightning storm.

Job well done
After filtering his 200 or so images he shot, surprisingly 130 were keepers. The composition or horizon was off on some and crop off center on others. But out of the 130 images there were many that were simply perfect in that he had captured the moments of the evening. (Luckily for me he didn’t capture all of them!) The image on this post is his. I simply cropped it and processed it.

Learning
Kids learn so much by observing and trying things out themselves. My son is well on his way of becoming an outstanding photographer and my daughter too for that matter. She has her own camera and manages to produce some very creative work. I don’t know what it is with her(and her friends) but she's stuck in this continuous self-portrait mode. Once she figures out that she can turn the camera around, she’ll discover a whole new world of photography.

My kids are not the only ones learning. After filtering my son’s images and being pleasantly surprised by his work, I realized that he too had taught me something. His tenacity, POV and spontaneity delivered the goods while I was busy checking the blueness of the Coors Lite mountain’s or on the dance floor trying to imitate a guy that can’t dance (which that I did very well!). So what did I learn? I learned I should have got him to shoot the reception too!


Now I can’t wait for him to learn Photoshop. When that happens I’ll be able to sit back and just be the director.


From the brighter side of the darkroom,


Pierre